Dear Patrick Henry PHamily,
We have been brutally reminded again of the continued violence in our country, state and city with the most recent deaths of Philando Castile, and Alton Sterling, the deaths of 5 police officers in Dallas, as well as the tragic shooting of Le’Vonte King Jason Jones and Mela Queen Melvina Jones. Our hearts are heavy as we attempt to process these tragedies with loved ones and our community. During this time of grief, the anger, outrage, and fear we are experiencing has the potential to rob us of the sense of hope we have for our future. We want the PHamily to know we see you, we hear you, we stand with you and we love you.
• We believe black lives deserve justice when they are taken from this world by those in power;
• We believe that each of your lives is a unique gift and that each person has a purpose. The loss of one life damages all of us;
• We are heartbroken that racism and injustice exist and recognize that they influence our lives greatly in multiple spaces;
• We are committed to listening to you, learning from you, working with you, and improving the way things are TOGETHER;
• We are committed to creating more space and time for conversations about race, racism, social justice and healing. Please stay tuned for events and opportunities;
• We encourage you to take care of yourselves and each other;
• And we encourage you to seek out those trusted adults and peers to share your thoughts and reactions.
If you need further support or an additional space to process your feelings, the School Based Clinic therapists, Carrie Peoples and Brandon Jones have availability to see students throughout the summer. Remember to eat, exercise, sleep and check in on your friends and loved ones and take a look at some of the additional resources you can access below.