MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact MyMPS
World History Syllabus

Digital Resources to Support Your Learning

MyMPS (a digital learning platform) Your World History course is listed on the MyMPS site at  Many assignments, quizzes, links to review material, and videos can be found here.

Student Portal: You can view your progress in your courses, including World History at  There are study sets with voabulary and terms for each unit that we test on at

Materials You Need to Bring to Class Bring a pen or pencil to class a notebook and a binder or folder to class.  Keep the readings I hand out in the binder or folder because you will need them all the way up to finals.

Course Description and Objectives During the first semester students study the world from prehistory to 1500 CE. Students refine and expand critical thinking skills, practice decision making and problem solving, and formulate questions to guide research. In the second semester, students study the word from 1500 CE through the contemporary era. Students continue to refine and expand critical thinking skills, practice decision-making and problem-solving, and formulate questions to guide research. World History is required for graduation.

Participation Participation is essential for successful understanding of this class and its assignments. Therefore, regular and prompt attendance, participation in class activities and discussion, and completion of homework and group assignments are the keys to your success in the course. Participation will count toward your grade.


  • Summative Assessments The most important assignments will be the end of unit measures of what you have learned--summative assessments. Summative assessments will account for 80% of your grade. Summative assessments will come in the form of tests, essays, papers, and presentations.  Rubrics giving you the expectations of what you should show you know will be provided to you before each summative assessment.
  • Classwork In class we will learn, practice, and review through a variety activities including discussion, video, power point presentations, and computer inter-actives, but the main efforts will center on reading and writing.
  • Classwork and Homework will account for 20% of your grade, which may not seem like a lot, but keeping up with these assignments is the key to learning and practicing what you will be asked to perform on summative assignments.


Grading Criteria As stated above, summative assignments will account for 80% of your grade and formative assessments embedded in classwork and homework will account for the other 20%.


The Grading Scale

A  = 94-100%                                      C- = 70 -73%

A- = 90-93%                                        C+ = 78-79%

B+ = 87-89%                                       D+ = 68-69% 

B = 84-86%                                         D  = 64-67%

B-  = 80-83%                                       D- = 50%

C = 74-77%                                         F (below 1.0) = 49% & below

Grades are updated weekly and viewable through the student portal.

Late Work Late work may be submitted before summative assessments are taken.  On most summative assessments a retake can be taken after attendance at tutorial and completion of review work, and notification of parents. There is no retake on end of course finals.

Assignments may not be made up during class time.


Tardy Policy Students are considered tardy if they are not seated in their assigned seat when the bell rings. The school tardy policy will be enforced.


Class Rules and Expectations Following Patrick Henry policy:

  • Be in class in your assigned seat when the bell rings quietly checking the screen in the front of the room for the hour’s opening activity. If you are tardy, enter the room quietly and present your tardy pass to the teacher.


  • Only academic passes out of the room can be given—sorry, no bathroom passes.


  • Cell phones and personal electronic devices must be out of sight. Phones and electronic devices that are being used or kept out will be given to the dean and may be picked up after school.


  • Food is not allowed in the classroom (we are trying to starve the mice and roaches!).


  • Students are expected to participate, respect the intention of themselves and other students to learn and the teacher to teach, give their best effort maintain a safe and well-ordered space for learning.


Standards This course will cover skills and content in the State of Minnesota’s World History Standards

I look forward to having a productive and fun school year and getting to know you better! Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.